Provigil 200 mg: how to use, dosage, side effects?
Why is this medication prescribed?
Provigil is a typical drug that is used to treat sleep-related problems such as narcolepsy, work-related sleep disorders, or excessive sleepiness in the morning. This drug is also commonly used for problems associated with obstructive sleep apnea.
This medication does not cure these sleep disorders and may not get rid of all your sleepiness. Modafinil does not take the place of getting enough sleep. It should not be used to treat tiredness or hold off sleep in people who do not have a sleep disorder.
A:Generally acceptable. Controlled studies in pregnant women show no evidence of fetal risk.
B:May be acceptable. Either animal studies show no risk but human studies not available or animal studies showed minor risks and human studies done and showed no risk.
C:Use with caution if benefits outweigh risks. Animal studies show risk and human studies not available or neither animal nor human studies done.
D:Use in LIFE-THREATENING emergencies when no safer drug available. Positive evidence of human fetal risk.
X:Do not use in pregnancy. Risks involved outweigh potential benefits. Safer alternatives exist.
NA:Information not available.
What Are the Most Common and Serious Side Effects of Modafinil (Provigil)?
The more common side effects include:
Less common side effects of Provigil include:
Elevated blood pressure
- Sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or inside the mouth
- Stuffy/runny nose
- Tingling, burning, or prickling sensations in the skin
- Back pain
- Decrease in appetite
- Difficulty having a bowel movement
- Dryness of the mouth
- Dryness of the skin
- Feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- Flushing or redness of the skin
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Muscle stiffness
Stop taking the medication and call your doctor and/or get emergency help if you get any of the following serious side effects:
- Chest pain
- Trouble breathing
- Sore throat
- Blistering, peeling, and red skin rash
- Severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- White patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips
- Feeling anxious
- Sensing things that are not really there (hallucinations)
- Increase in activity (mania)
- Thoughts of suicide
- Aggression or other mental problems